Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Teri Anderson. Powered by Blogger.

In A House Possessed

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

 Twenty five years ago, in another life, I moved to an area outside South Padre Island, Texas. What I thought was going to be an adventure of sun, sand and beach fun turned out to be anything but. This is part one of our experience.

"Eric do you think this is the house?" My brother and I were parked in front of a small stucco home with a screened in front porch. The house number couldn’t be seen so Eric walked up to peek in the windows. "There are boxes in here. This must be it."

The house looked creepy. The trim on the house and the screened in porch was painted a dark terra cotta color. The paint was peeling off in big chunks. The yard was unkempt and overcome with weeds. The house looked cold, even in the 110 degree Texas heat.

My 17 year old brother and I had been driving for 12 hours on our way from Dallas to Port Isabel, Texas. We had a U-Haul truck, a packed car and two little kids. Karli was 3 and Cole had just turned one. My (ex) husband, Ed,  had taken a job in Port Isabel as a chef at the Yacht Club. He left weeks earlier to find a suitable home for the family. The kids and I stayed behind to get things in order and ready ourselves for the big move.

I unbuckled car seats and got the kids out of the car. Holding Cole in my arms and Karli by the hand we walked up the small pathway of cracked cement. Eric opened the ripped screen door for me and I went to the front door. I bent over and looked under the tattered mat. There was a key beneath it. Being a chef, Ed worked evenings so he wouldn't be home for hours. I picked up the key and opened the door. 

A feeling that I had never experienced rushed over me as I stepped into the house. It was a feeling of dread and uncertainty. The hairs on the back on my neck stood on end. I looked at my brother and was shocked. The color had drained from his face. He had beads of sweat forming on his brow. "Eric did you feel that?”  He looked at me, his eyes full of fear, and nodded yes. As quickly as the feeling came it was gone.

We shook it aside and began to look around. There was a nice sized living room that led into an over sized kitchen. There was a small master bedroom and a tiny room for the kids. The house had one bathroom with a shower and no bathtub.

Eric went out of the back door in the kitchen to check out the yard and the guest house. I found the kids something to snack on.  I could see from the kitchen window that there were banana trees, orange trees and a lime tree. Across the street was a coconut palm. It would be fun having those fruit trees on the property.

Eric opened the back door and stepped back into the kitchen. He was more pale then I'd ever seen him. He was trembling and looked as if he might fall at any moment. He caught himself on the edge of the tiled counter top. After a few minutes he was able to speak.

"Teri, don't ever go to the guest house.  There's something really bad back there."  I laughed trying to lighten up the situation.  "Oh, yeah? What's back there, a ghost?"   Eric wasn’t amused. He told me that he had never been as afraid as he was when he looked through the window and into black painted rooms.  "Teri, I'm telling you that something bad happened here."


It looks a lot different than when we were there.



22 comments:

Nolie January 5, 2011 at 9:56 PM  

Oh Shit! Looking forward to the rest.

Gucci Mama January 5, 2011 at 10:17 PM  

Ooh, I can't wait to hear more. It may look different now, but it still looks kind of creepy to me.

Holly January 5, 2011 at 11:01 PM  

Yeah... sounds VERY CREEPY!! Looks can be deceiving... but your sixth sense is a whole new ball game. I for one, don't ignore it. So how long did you have to stay in the main house? Did you ever find out more about the guest house? Did you do any research?

Holly January 5, 2011 at 11:01 PM  

Yeah... sounds VERY CREEPY!! Looks can be deceiving... but your sixth sense is a whole new ball game. I for one, don't ignore it. So how long did you have to stay in the main house? Did you ever find out more about the guest house? Did you do any research?

Jennifer Kay January 6, 2011 at 3:19 AM  

Ugh, I cannot wait for the ending!

MarkD60 January 6, 2011 at 4:09 AM  

Theme from Twilight Zone playing in my head...

Classic NYer January 6, 2011 at 5:35 AM  

Man, I would have been out of there as soon as you said "did you feel that?"

larainydays January 6, 2011 at 6:09 AM  

Oooo, no one does creepy like Texas. I can't wait for the rest.

Empty Nester January 6, 2011 at 6:57 AM  

OMG CREEPY! And shame on you for leaving us hanging like this!!!! MORE, I want MORE! LOL

Dazee Dreamer January 6, 2011 at 7:13 AM  

good god woman. don't you realize that I will stay up all hours of the night reading a book like the story you are going to drag out and make us wait days and days to finish. we are fighting now sista.

Monkey Man January 6, 2011 at 8:44 AM  

This is a great story!! Can't wait for the next in the series. I LOVE this stuff.

Liz Mays January 6, 2011 at 10:58 AM  

o.m.g.

Hurry up with the rest!

Anonymous,  January 6, 2011 at 12:00 PM  

Looks like I am going to sleep with my cat in the hat nighlight on tonight.

Thanks a lot.

Jane January 6, 2011 at 3:16 PM  

is this a true story,cant wait to hear more. I am going to follow you,your welcome to follow me,I will be back.blessings Jane

Christy January 6, 2011 at 5:27 PM  

Can't wait to hear the rest.

middle child January 6, 2011 at 5:47 PM  

Oh great! Just great. Well at least now I have an excuse not to have to go to South Padre Island again this year. "Can't go honey,...it's haunted."

Pat January 7, 2011 at 7:46 AM  

Sure, and I had to read this right before I went to bed!

Anonymous,  January 7, 2011 at 11:37 PM  

i must here more

Countess of Kick Ass January 9, 2011 at 10:27 PM  

I've already heard this story but for some reason its scarrier. Could it be because I know your brother now and I can't imagine anythhing getting to him much less anything scaring him?

I wish my Nook had spell check. :(

brandy-son Zen master flash January 11, 2011 at 9:49 PM  

I am just reading all of these stories now and having fun doing so. I love them - so awesome.

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

All Rights Reserved

© 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020



All rights reserved. Content, both written and original photographs, may not be copied or used in any way without consent.















  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP