Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Teri Anderson. Powered by Blogger.

Beagles, Mexicans and Facebook

Thursday, October 28, 2010

There’s something that’s been bothering me for quite some time and it’s only getting worse. I generally don’t write about my political or spiritual views on here. My views are very strong and very firm. I don’t write about them because I’m not in the habit of trying to provoke or offend people.

I watch the status updates on Facebook, I read a lot of blogs posts, I have the news on in my house whenever I’m home and the satellite radio in my car is set to my favorite news station. I really don’t get the polarization in America. I’m not speaking only of politics, however that’s a huge part of it. I’m speaking of it all, politics, faith, gender, racism, and just general hatred.

In case you missed it somewhere I’m an American, white (don’t you freaking dare call me European-American), politically conservative and christian. My views are firm, as I said, but they are mine. Yes I’ll debate sometimes, I’ll banter, I’ll share my views if asked and feel that they won’t be attacked. I’m not into attacks. I may state a view of mine but I won’t push it down your throat or call you names if you disagree with me.

I hear “tolerance” being preached from every direction, yet those that vomit it seem unwilling to practice it. Why is it that a lot of people want everyone to be tolerant of their choices, but refuse to be tolerant of those that choose a different way, of those that walk a different path?

Why doesn’t character seem to matter anymore? Character is what draws me to my friends, not their particular points of view. If you have no character and act like a bigoted, intolerant asshole I'll cross you off my list. Believe me there are some that have been crossed off of my list. Do I hate them? No, I just choose not to be subjected to their hatred.

My friends and family are diverse. Most of my children are either black or black and white. No, they don’t want to be called African-American. They feel it only segregates and drives the wedge in further. They all have “un-hyphenated American” t-shirts. My “mixed” kids embrace both of their backgrounds, not just one. They are Americans first.

My extended family is comprised of christian, agnostic, gay, conservative, liberal and races other than “white.” Some of them have some very intolerant views, but they’re family. My friends are diverse as well. My closest friend in the world is Mexican, other very close friends are lesbian, some are agnostic, others atheist. We don’t agree on everything, well maybe The Brat and I do, but I love them all deeply. 

A few years ago my grandson was in a park in downtown Portland. He was about 5 and had on a “Wee-Publican” t-shirt. He saw a man with a Beagle, his favorite dog. He approached the man and asked if he could pet the dog. The man told a five year old that his dog “only likes liberals.” Really? Seriously? Asshole.

One of the most awesome things about being an American is the right to have our own opinions and to be able to express them. Come on though, a little respect goes a long way. If you’re going to make tolerance your thing and want others to listen to and respect your point of view, at least have the guts to respect theirs.

36 comments:

Liz Mays October 28, 2010 at 5:53 PM  

That was so uncalled for and rude. It was a child, for heaven's sake!

Gucci Mama October 28, 2010 at 5:54 PM  

My kids have wee-publican shirts! I love seeing people's reactions to them, especially now that we live in the Land of the Liberal.

I wish that the people who continually want to dry hump "tolerance" when they're lambasting opposing view points would actually attempt to practice some themselves.

I should write a whole thing on why the whole concept of "tolerance" bothers me. Damn, Diva, you've sparked so many ideas this week! You're the wind beneath my wings.

Anyway. Great post.

The Bipolar Diva October 28, 2010 at 6:03 PM  

Blueviolet, Wasn't that a horrible thing to say to a little one?

Anonymous,  October 28, 2010 at 6:03 PM  

That was very well written! I agree on the tolerance issue. Everyone doesn't have to agree with each other, but respecting people's views is so important! I know people with all kinds of views and backgrounds that are good people, who respect others. I've never met someone I didn't like because of their beliefs, but I've met plenty I came to loathe because of the way they shove them down people's throat, even if I did agree sometimes.

The Bipolar Diva October 28, 2010 at 6:03 PM  

Oh Gucci, we make a good team. ♥

Gucci Mama October 28, 2010 at 6:20 PM  

Indeed we do, love. We are unstoppable.

Christy October 28, 2010 at 6:30 PM  

This is why I prefer the term acceptance. The meaning is actually very different from tolerance.

Unknown October 28, 2010 at 6:42 PM  

I commend you for not punching that Beagle owner right in the snout.

Well written, girl!! :)

The Bipolar Diva October 28, 2010 at 6:47 PM  

Tricia, I know...you don't dis a little kid!

The Bipolar Diva October 28, 2010 at 6:47 PM  

Gucci~ I like that, unstoppable.

The Bipolar Diva October 28, 2010 at 6:48 PM  

Christy, I know. But tolerance is the word that gets pitched around.

Copyboy October 28, 2010 at 6:53 PM  

I'm your jewish liberal friend that loves republicans. Don't matter to me. Jimmy Carter. GW. It's all good.

Savira Gupta October 28, 2010 at 6:58 PM  

Firstly the man who is an adult needs a lesson or two in communicating with a kid!
We seem to have entered a phase where people are struggling for survival in all sense and this had made them even more focus on their own issues.
If we could break those barriers and see that our suffering as are the same as others maybe some unity will arise!

The Bipolar Diva October 28, 2010 at 7:15 PM  

I know Copyboy, you're fly like that and that's one reason I love you!

The Bipolar Diva October 28, 2010 at 7:16 PM  

Yoga~you're very right and that man totally personifies everything I wrote about.

Prettypics123 October 28, 2010 at 7:36 PM  

About "If you have no character and act like a bigoted, intolerant asshole I'll cross you off my list." I don't think that a person of character can be bigoted and intolerant. I so wish we could all stop hurting one another and others with our beliefs transformed into action and then inciting the negative behaviors of others. Is it naive to dream that we all could live in peace?

Bring Pretty Back October 28, 2010 at 7:53 PM  

AMEN! You are so right with all of this.
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

jen October 28, 2010 at 8:28 PM  

I'm with you when it comes to politics and my blog. It's not why I do it.
That being said, KUDOS TO YOU, GIRL! Well said.
I have another kid story. We were walking as our family over fall break, when my three-year-old approached a homeless guy with a sign. He pointed to it and asked, "What does that say?"
Now, you'd think that a homeless guy might have a chip on his shoulder and be rude to a kid. You'd be wrong.
He said, "This sign says, 'I shoulda listened to my mother. I shoulda listened to my father. And I shoulda stayed in school.'" Then he smiled at my son.
Why can't all people be like that?

Michelle Pixie October 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM  

I couldn't have said it better myself! This is exactly why I love you so much. :)

The Bipolar Diva October 28, 2010 at 8:53 PM  

Thank you Jen! What an awesome story about that man and his sign....kudos to him! Thanks for sharing that!

The Bipolar Diva October 28, 2010 at 8:54 PM  

Oh Michelle, thank you so much! I ♥ you!

Donda October 28, 2010 at 10:14 PM  

Some assmunch really said that to a toddler? That's offensive right there!

The Blogger Formerly Known As October 29, 2010 at 5:18 AM  

That was a particularly ignorant thing to say to anybody, let alone a child!

May I say, looking at your picture, it’s hard to believe you’re old enough to have a grandchild!
The enigmatic, masked blogger

Becky October 29, 2010 at 7:06 AM  

You and I are very much a like in a lot of things. I have been taking on the stupidity of intolerant people on my blog, one issue at a time. I am careful though to never attack the person, but to at least show the other side of their arguments and take on their words/actions. I don't think I'll set the world on fire, but I hope to show some common sense to those idiots out there who seem to be lacking it.

Furry Bottoms October 29, 2010 at 7:38 AM  

I am so in the same boat as you.

Dee October 29, 2010 at 9:24 AM  

Thanks for the info! Love your blog, I'm your newest follower!

Karen T October 29, 2010 at 9:50 AM  

I have beagles and they love EVERYONE. I had a similar experience as a teenager. A local store had hired me to wear a giant teddy bear costume for an event they were having. Some guy approached me and asked me if I knew Jesus Christ as my personal savior. When I answered yes, he asked me what my religion was. I answered that I was LDS (Mormon) - I'm not sure why I even answered him. He then said, "Oh, then you DON'T know Christ as your savior." I was crushed! My personal beliefs had just been completely insulted. Now that I'm older, I realize that people who say things like that (or protest at the funerals of fallen soldiers) are no example of Christianity. Thanks for sharing your story.

Kristy October 29, 2010 at 11:31 AM  

Where has civility gone in society. I don't have to agree with things but being rude is senseless and ignorant. Life would be boring for me if I agreed on everything everybody did or said. People need to use manners when dealing with people.

Monkey Man October 29, 2010 at 4:40 PM  

Dude with the dog is a dick.

Free2bMommy November 2, 2010 at 6:45 PM  

I loved and laughed while reading this post. I think its important to be who we are, but too much and we segregate ourselves.

Dee

ain't for city gals November 6, 2010 at 5:36 PM  

I came over from Rob-bear...Good post...

Anonymous,  November 19, 2010 at 6:08 AM  

I gave this post an award on my blog, if you want it :)

Rob-bear November 23, 2010 at 11:17 PM  

Whoa! I can't believe I didn't tell you how good this was back in October!

Great post, for a Republican!

Bear laughs with enjoyment all the way to his den. (Bear also thinks you don't act like a Republican; Bear's mind must be scrambled a bit today.)

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

All Rights Reserved

© 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020



All rights reserved. Content, both written and original photographs, may not be copied or used in any way without consent.















  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP