Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Teri Anderson. Powered by Blogger.

Scared Out of Their Skin!

Saturday, May 15, 2010

I've come to know the halls of Emanuel Hospital a little too well in the last five years. We first became familiar with the hospital when our grandson, Isaiah, was diagnosed with a fatal virus. He spent many weeks in the PICU before being sent home to die peacefully in the arms of our family.




Then we went through two emergency C-sections with our daughter. Each was preformed around her 27th week of pregnancy. Both babies spent more than three months in the NICU. Last fall our son was there to re-build his leg and he's there again having it done for the second time.



Every time I've walked the halls of that hospital I gaze through the windows to take in the beauty of the Children's Garden. It seems to be a peaceful place to pull the little red wagons of terminally ill children through, sit and have lunch on a warm sunny day, or to just  escape the smell of antiseptic and experience the calm that's missing in the rest of the hospital.




Several times I've watched as frantic parents rushed their screaming toddlers through the heavy glass doors into the hospital. At first I thought these children were being hurried back to their various doctors for some medical reason known only to the parents and the medical staff.



About a year or so ago I over heard a child with a tear stained face say to his mommy "It was SO scary." Scary? What could be scary about such a lovely place filled with sculptures, butterflies and flowers? I peered a little closer through the glass searching for what must have scared this poor child and perhaps all of those other screaming children of years past.



Finally I saw it. It couldn't be missed. I wondered how I could have overlooked it's terrifying existence all of the years I passed by admiring the garden. Today I walked out of the doors into the garden for the very first time. I needed to see this monster up close.



It is a beast of a thing. It's red glowing eyes appeared to be those of a demon. It's teeth are sharp and yellow. Wait! There are two of them and they appear to be fighting! No wonder those poor kids were scared out of their skin! No wonder that today there seemed to be only adults walking the grounds. Not a child in sight.



I'm still wondering why the Children's Garden has such a frightening tortoise in it's midst to be stumbled upon by unsuspecting little ones. Yes, I said tortoise. To be more exact tortoises, fighting tortoises. The things are huge, measuring about three feet across their tiled shells. Their heads are larger than a child's. I can see how an itty-bitty might think that the open mouths could easily swallow them up.



Just who's idea was this?


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 
 
 

11 comments:

Cheryl D. May 15, 2010 at 5:35 PM  

Hehe! I actually think they're quite lovely, but I'm not a toddler! It is a beautiful garden. I don't believe any of the hospitals in Los Angeles have an area like that. It's a shame!

Gucci Mama May 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM  

Thanks. Now I'm going to have nightmares. Gawd.

Tiffany May 15, 2010 at 9:47 PM  

good lord, that IS frightening!

The Bipolar Diva May 15, 2010 at 10:52 PM  

Oh the workmanship on all of the sculptures is incredible, but for a little kiddo.....YIKES!

Brenda Susan May 16, 2010 at 3:45 PM  

Hi Diva - Please don't think I am stalking you, it's just nice to read your refreshing takes on life. Anyway I have given you an award, the Sunshine Award. Come over and get the award button and pass it on if you feel like it.

The Bipolar Diva May 16, 2010 at 4:45 PM  

Are you kidding? i LOVE it when you stop by :)

Thank you! I'll be right over!

Claudya Martinez May 16, 2010 at 5:23 PM  

Is it terrible that I find it a little bit funny?

The Bipolar Diva May 16, 2010 at 5:27 PM  

Mami-
Not at all. Truth be told, I do too!

Free2bMommy May 17, 2010 at 6:50 AM  

Im sorry but that was freaking hilarious!!! The one tortoise by itself was not too bad but the two together are creepy looking in that context!!

Glad I found your blog!!!

Dee
www.imfree2bmommy.com

Anonymous,  May 18, 2010 at 8:37 AM  

New follower from FMBT. Also following you on Networked Blogs. Please stop by and follow back.
http://alittleoftheother.com

Ellie

Frugal Tumbleweed Acres May 27, 2010 at 3:04 PM  

Mercy, no wonder the children are scared out of their wits.

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

All Rights Reserved

© 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020



All rights reserved. Content, both written and original photographs, may not be copied or used in any way without consent.















  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP