Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Teri Anderson. Powered by Blogger.

Ham, Merkins, Bedazzlers and TMI

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Sit down, hold on and if you’re easily offended take a hike on this one, really, I mean it. I try to keep things somewhat tame on here because of the grand kids, some family and a few others that I really don’t want to offend. But you know what? After the day I had (I’ll get to that in a minute) I needed a laugh and my family certainly provided it.


So the first the day:

Had to pack for vacation. No, I didn’t do a freaking thing all week even though I’ve known for months that this day was coming. My “special” son turned 17 today which means a house-load of kids, chaos, and Xanex. So here’s my day.

Coffee

Tanning

Laundry

Shopping

Chocolate covered strawberries (preparing)

Grocery shopping.

Pay business bills

Pack

Yada, yada, yada…..

Crap! It was 3:45 and I hadn’t taken a shower and everyone was going to be here at five for the party. In the shower doing all of my showerly duties I feel a lump. Shit! Freaking Shit!!! The minute I touched it I knew what it was and I totally panicked. Of all times to notice this problem, now was not one of them.

BLEEP! BLEEPING BLEEP!! I have a staph infection, MRSA to be exact. Seems the nasty little creatures have been roaming my house for six years just waiting for the right time to attack me and it’s usually right before, or during, vacation.

Now it’s 4:10. The pharmacy closes at 6; I leave at 5:30 in the morning. I have the on call doc paged. I wait and I wait. She calls, sends in a prescription and I pick it up about 5, when everyone is supposed to be here. My stress level is now in the exosphere. I still have to make dinner (sorta), do party, pack, blah, blah, blah.

“Oh wait, what was that you said dear husband? You have to leave for a while to talk business just when everyone is arriving and nothing is packed? What-the-BLEEP-ever.” My bubble thought: "What the freaking BLEEP did you do all BLEEP BLEEPING day?"

Then the fun starts with my 28 yr old un-named Karli and Michelle daughters begin slapping the other kids with ham. The next thing I know is that ham is now flying across the kitchen and dining room while kids run everywhere. I’m sitting there too tired, too stressed to do anything but shake my head. They’re laughing and talking about some “Real Housewife” show. About that time a certain grandchild Jakob decides it would be a riot to throw it at Nana.

War’s on. He saw me get up and he started to run. There was a daughter on each side of him, he couldn’t get away. I won’t tell you where I ended up placing the ham on him, but let’s just say that no one would touch the ham after that, and everyone kept asking him if he smelled bacon.

Now every child calms down and makes their sandwiches, sits at the table and the “fun” begins. Here are a few snippets of conversation from the table tonight. Like I said before, leave now if you don’t know that I have tattoos, go dancing with my older kids and have raised very open children that feel that it’s completely acceptable to talk about anything with the family. When the smack started I grabbed a pen and paper and started taking notes. These are some of the comments of the kids from 10-28:

Daughter 1: Megan Fox is HOT, but she’s such a whore

Daughter 2: She’s beautiful but a total loser.

Daughter 3: NS! Oh sorry Mom.

Grandson: You know that she’s dating a stripper named Tinkerbell (how does a ten year old know this?)

Daughter 1: She’s pretty, but she’s such a beee-oootch!

Daughter 1: You know that (insert Broken Boy’s name here) used to drink vanilla when mom and dad left? He had them convinced that he liked the taste and they believed him because they are reee-taar-ded!

Grandson: I wear studs. (WTH?)

Daughter 1: Did you see that Kathy Griffin got a Brazilian and had her va-jay-jay bedazzled?

Daughter 2: What? You mean with a real bedazzler?

Daughter 1: Mom, don’t you get those? Does dad like the landing strip or monogram?

(I’m staring not really sure what to say)

Daughter 2: Mom, are you taking notes? I feel exploited!

Grandson: The other day I walked in on my mom and she could use a wax. I thought I saw a forest. Then she told me to bring her the kitchen scissors and a comb.

I drop my head, now I’m embarrassed. My grandson not only knows his mother's "playing field" needs trimming, but he's fetching her the scissors!

Daughter 1: Well I needed a trim. You know Mom uses the peanut clippers.

Grandson: What?

Daughter 1: The clippers she uses to trim your neck.

Grandson: GROSS!

Daughter to son: What do you call that? I mean a girl’s parts?

Grandson: I call it West Virginia.

Special Son: Actually wouldn’t be more like SOUTH Virginia?

Broken Boy: laughing until he cries

Daughter 1: When I was in seventh grade in health class they made us call them “Carolina” and “Tallywhacker.” Then when they tried to describe “O’s” they compared it to a sneeze that builds and builds and then when it happens you feel better.

Daughter 2: So are you supposed to say “God Bless You” after?

Daughter 1: Mom you never answered my question.

(Mom’s not about to answer!)

Daughter 2: So Kathy Griffin really bedazzled? Like, how did she do that?

Daughter 1: Sister, do you know what a “merkin” is?

Daughter 2: A what?

Daughter 1: Mom google it.

I google and show Daughter 2 what a “Merkin” is.

Daughter 2: THAT”S disgusting…..wait is that real hair?

(Front door opens)

All kids: ssssssh! Dad’s home! SHHHH!

A hush falls upon the house. Jeff walks in, makes a sandwich and sits down at the table. The kids make small talk.

Me: Jeff, have you ever heard of a ham fight?

All kids grow pale.

Dad stares down kids and says : I’d better never see you throw food in this house!

Me: Jeff wanna know the conversation you missed?

All kids light up like Rudolph’s nose. They’re even quieter than before.

I read my notes.

Jeff: I’m not praying for any of you anymore.

“Special” Boy blows out candle on his chocolate covered strawberries then opens gifts.



Special Boy: Oh cool it’s an Army survival guide from 1970!

Broken Boy: Yeah it was that or one on hand to hand combat and I didn’t think that would be appropriate.

Special Boy: Oh this card is from Mom and Dad!

Daughter 1: Well aren’t you special!

Special boy: Yes I am, special I have autism.

Daughter 1: No, I mean Mom never does cards.

Me: Dad put it in the basket. I don’t do cards.

Daughter 1: you used to do cards before you adopted all these kids!

Special Boy: But I AM special….I have AUTISM!

Daughter 2: So back to the “merkin,” are they made of real hair?

Grandson: Why do they call it a “tallywhacker”

The Daughter 2 shows my this and asks what it was. They were stuck in the cupcakes I picked up for the party. You tell me:

After the night's conversation, it certainly doesn't appear to be just a hammer!

These are my kids, I mean are they really MY kids?




25 comments:

Cheryl D. June 19, 2010 at 11:48 PM  

Our conversations here with our little one are more restrained and genteel. LOL!

Donda June 19, 2010 at 11:49 PM  

You had me at Xanax...what craziness...and I thought I had all the madness over here! I saw a Kathy Griffin interview when she was describing in full detail the vadazzling! OK, and I must say Mama's boy needs to go to summer camp for a while, fetching the scissors...WOW! My son just takes out the trash and unloads the dishwasher...should I require more? LOL

The Bipolar Diva June 20, 2010 at 12:00 AM  

heehee Donda.....I'm sitting here still in shock! I guess it good that they can talk to us about anything, but geeeeze! LOL

Coffee Slut June 20, 2010 at 1:22 AM  

Omg ....you made me laugh so hard I choked on my coffee!

Dee June 20, 2010 at 5:12 AM  

hahaha Oh my, sounds like a fun household. My son and his friends used to have those....odd...conversations in front of me. Cracked me up.

Jamie June 20, 2010 at 6:34 AM  

Diva,
DIdn't know whether to pour a glass of wine and toast you ( you deserve a standing ovation, friend) or sit there and laugh with you/at you...

Tis said a day isn't complete without learning something new today, and now at 7:30 am my day's complete. I googled 'merkin'
:-)

Have a great one
jamie

Allyson & Jere June 20, 2010 at 8:22 AM  

Wow! That is QUITE the dinner conversation for sure. I think it's great that everyone is so open and comfortable to talk to eachother like that. We're pretty open in my family as well. Though we might not talk about va jay jays. Oh, who am I kidding, yes we would.

Thanks for sharing this, it cracked me up. And now I'm off to google merkin. Should I be scared?

Christy June 20, 2010 at 8:40 AM  

MTTN (milk through the nose) absolutely funny. I've had those days, just not for some time because mine are all older and they have little people of their own. But they have had these discussions completely speechless.

Anonymous,  June 20, 2010 at 11:07 AM  

Hi there! I found your blog from the Lady Blogger Tea Party. You crack me up. I think you had me hooked from the Ham game story and just love the candid relationship you have with your kids! :)

Babes Mami June 20, 2010 at 12:43 PM  

My family and yours need to have dinner ha ha ha

Gretchen Seefried June 20, 2010 at 1:06 PM  

It is incredibly heartwarming to know that other families have that kind of dinner table conversation...will be sending this on to my 4 oldest kids. Will hold off on the 10 year old as he knows a lot, but not as much as yours :)

Claudya Martinez June 20, 2010 at 4:17 PM  

Hmmm, I might not be craving ham for awhile.

Laurie Wallin June 20, 2010 at 5:04 PM  

Well, at least my family dinner times feel more normal... :) While ham isn't usually a part, there are often belching contests, discussion of all bodily concerns, questions about things I would rather say, "you're too young to know about that!" and other things that make one reach for that second glass of wine!

Hey, thank you again for catching up with me on Twitter. It is really neat to be able to connect with another mom who's doing her best with some tough kiddos!

Hope you all are having a wonderful Father's Day! Any motorcycle riding on the agenda?

-Laurie
http://livingpower.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/mylivingpower

Green-Eyed Brat,  June 20, 2010 at 8:28 PM  

SBF told me what a merkin is and why they needed them. My response?!? Well hell clamidia sounds like a GREAT alternative option to waxing...cause waxing is a mother fucker!!!! Not to mention if I let it go...it'll take away my baby making powers!!!

It's ok...I opted for laser hair removal and the ring.

W.C.Camp June 20, 2010 at 8:39 PM  

Ha I would like your family - but please never invite me to a HAM dinner! W.C.C.

Unknown June 20, 2010 at 8:41 PM  

OMG that's funny, the funniest part is when they said you got bezazzled! HAHA! It's shocking what kids know these days know! Now I'm thinking, hmmm...I should have gotten a wax or at least used Nair before my OBGYN appointment tomorrow, damn! Or gotten bedazzled LOLOLOL

Unknown June 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM  

Oh, it's called VA dazzling? Either way, I heard it from Jennifer Love Hewitt, and thought WTH? Dressing up your "lady parts"? I've always wondered how careful you have to be when "washing yourself" so the crystals don't fall off, or do they fall off when you first shower/bathe? THAT you don't read on wikipedia LOL

JoJo June 20, 2010 at 9:59 PM  

I love your kids! I think you should get a reality tv show. This is much more entertaining than kate plus eight!

Brenda Susan June 20, 2010 at 10:40 PM  

Hilarious post!
Hey I have recently acquired 2 brand new Followers who say they came from you! So whatever you're doing, I'm loving it, thanks!

Ms. Understood June 20, 2010 at 11:31 PM  

LOL!!!! I love how open your conversations are with your kids. And I love how your husband comes in and just regulates with simple comments. Happy Father's Day to your husband and Happy Birthday to Joshua. LOL @ do you smell bacon. I had to google merkin.

Jennifer Juniper June 21, 2010 at 6:43 AM  

Lmao!! As scary as it is, I hope my kids are that open with me when they're older.
Did you know that they have penazzling now too??

Anonymous,  June 21, 2010 at 7:41 AM  

God, I would love to sit at your table! I thought ours got interesting, but we're only two generations and primarily women. Haha, I love it!

MommyLovesStilettos June 21, 2010 at 8:53 AM  

Ahhhh vajazzling!!! :) Love it!

Anonymous,  June 21, 2010 at 9:28 AM  

Any chance I could be invited to dinner? Just once? I promise to come armed with various cutlets, or at least wearing a bacon merkin. Its a conversation starter (or finisher).

Hazel from Hazel Loves Design June 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM  

hahhaha!! The things that come out when you have a family dinner!! Love it!!! I miss these sorts of conversations (I recently moved overseas from New Zealand to Australia so I hardly see my family anymore!!)

:) Hazel

PS Thanks for the giggle!!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

All Rights Reserved

© 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020



All rights reserved. Content, both written and original photographs, may not be copied or used in any way without consent.















  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP