Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Teri Anderson. Powered by Blogger.

A Dose Of Testosterone

Monday, January 2, 2012

It takes a lot to shock me, a mean, ya know, after raising a ton of kids, dealing with all kinds of people in business, and just basically everything that's happened in my life in the last 49 years has me pretty well prepared to handle most anything.

I say most because tonight I saw something that actually made me scream from sheer shock. It was like coming face to face with a chupacabra.

My son has graciously allowed me to post this tonight. I think he took some sort of sadistic delight in hearing my shriek.

We began having said son tested this past year for what began as a low thyroid condition, which led to testing for a brain tumor, that then led to testing for Cushing's disease. I know what you're thinking. "What in the hell is wrong with her family? They ALL have some weird thing going on." Am I right? Of course I'm right.

While testing for all of the above conditions the endocrinologist decided to run a genetic test on a hunch. And it paid off. My son has a condition called Klinefelter's Syndrome. She hit pay dirt. My son has this syndrome which means instead of having the normal XY chromosomes, he has an extra X. So he's XXY. It actually explains a lot of what's been going on with him.

Having the extra X means his body doesn't produce enough testosterone on it's own. He'll be 21 in May and was shaving maybe once every month or two, he still has eight baby teeth, and the list goes on.

He's been on the treatment for about six months now. The treatment consists of applying a testosterone gel to his shoulders and chest every day for the rest of his life. I asked him if he noticed any difference besides his facial hair growing in thicker and at a much faster pace. He said, "As a matter of fact yes. I'm growing a little hair on my arms."

"You mean under your arms?"

"No Mom, I mean ON my arms."

"Let me see."

"Ok," he said as he smirked and pulled up the sleeve of his shirt.


I'll let you be the judge of whether my gasps of horror were justified or not. Here's a pic of my smiling, handsome son. Click the pic to see what scared the holy shit out of me.




32 comments:

Unknown January 3, 2012 at 6:09 AM  

I've never heard of that condition before - but glad it's not something as serious as the conditions you described!

My husband also has low testosterone and used the gel for awhile before the doctor told him to give himself a shot weekly. Have you noticed the smell? I found it to be WONDERFUL! : ) Kind of powerful, but sexy. : ) People kept asking him at work "Did you get a new cologne?" - haha!

Tami January 3, 2012 at 7:17 AM  

First I want to say you have a handsome son. Second I want to say "SHREIK"! All that HAIR! Well, he sure got testosterone!

Outcast January 3, 2012 at 7:39 AM  

That's amazing how hairy those arms are, that's the kind of thing I could only dream off haha, no wonder you were shocked!

I'm new to this blog by the way and I'm now following because this seems like a very interesting blog to me. I'm bipolar as well, I've been diagnosed for about a year now and it's really, really tough to balance so reading a blog like this could really help me. Excellent stuff!

The Bipolar Diva January 3, 2012 at 8:52 AM  

Kansas;

I haven't noticed anything. The doc said it would have a smell, but Michael hides in his room too much for me to tell.

Carries Rambles January 3, 2012 at 9:21 AM  

He's a handsome boy, but may I just say HOLY SHIT

Just Two Chicks January 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM  

Well that made my mouth drop... LOL. Testosterone is important, huh? He looks so freakin' happy. Was the happy picture taken before or after you shrieked? ;)

Christy January 3, 2012 at 9:36 AM  

Can anyone say medication adjustment?

I can see you completely jumping out of your skin.

Kim Williams Jacobson January 3, 2012 at 10:17 AM  

Welcome to the world of the men in my family. More fur to love =)

My Mercurial Nature January 3, 2012 at 10:30 AM  

AAAACK!!!!! I so would've shrieked, too. He's probably considering chasing you around the house with his arms now. ;-) Thank goodness the treatment, however, has been something that didn't require surgery or other invasive treatment.

The Bipolar Diva January 3, 2012 at 11:01 AM  

Two Chicks,
I'm surprised you couldn't hear me scream!

The Bipolar Diva January 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM  

kjake38;

Oh, I think he's part wolf!

The Bipolar Diva January 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM  

Mercurial;

I'm glad that's all that's needed to treat his syndrome as well. I'm sick to death of surgeries!

Susie - Walking Butterfly January 3, 2012 at 12:27 PM  

Hey my brother looks even more like wolfman than that! Scary but not completely unnatural.

highheeledlife January 3, 2012 at 1:55 PM  

Your son has not only a handsome face .. he exudes kindness and warmth! His smile is brilliant! Well, looks like the dose of the medication may need a little tweaking!! But, I'm happy to read that of all it could have been, its something that is not life threatening.

As for people thinking - Whats' up with your family?" They should remember you have many little feet ( ok they are not so little ow..lol) running about your home. The more children one has has to love the more things will be encountered. Many Blessings to you, and may 2012 be filled with all good things for you and your loved ones! xo HHL

P.S. was glad to see your post!! xo

Dazee Dreamer January 3, 2012 at 2:21 PM  

holy macanoly. I'm speechless and you know that is rare for me.

The Bipolar Diva January 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM  

RCL~
My husband is semi hairy, ,but he's blonde. All that black hair freaked me out! lol

jen January 3, 2012 at 4:01 PM  

That would freak me out as well. Note to self-never apply testosterone.

Jessica Warrick January 3, 2012 at 4:06 PM  

omg that is totally horrible. My ex hubby was very hairy and it made me gag everytime i saw his shoulders and back hair makes me cringe.

Anonymous,  January 3, 2012 at 4:53 PM  

You kill me! I did not expect that! :)

middle child January 3, 2012 at 7:01 PM  

I s'pose it's gross of me to say he's kinda cute (and I do like my men hairy).
Remind him to wash his hands after applying the patch or gel, whichever he is using. My son now gets testosterone shots. And he was bitchin' about it. I'm like...John! You had fucking brain surgery and you are complaining about shots?!

joanne January 3, 2012 at 7:37 PM  

well I let out a little 'yikes' myself! Looks more like a leg...guess the stuff is working. BTW, what a gorgeous young man you have there!

Pat January 3, 2012 at 8:04 PM  

Holy Crapola! That's one hairy dude! Maybe he should cut down the dosage? Yikes!

Happy New Year, btw!

Anonymous,  January 3, 2012 at 9:24 PM  

Wow that is some serious hair growth going on there... So happy that you have found what it is and its treatable.. He must be happy!! :)
Love this post

Cloudia January 3, 2012 at 11:14 PM  

powerful stuff. the treatment he needs! cool, he'll do great

myinnerchick.com January 4, 2012 at 5:59 AM  

OOO, Poor Baby.
I am sure the doctor will know what to do. A lower dose, perhaps.
Is your son bummed out about it?
Some men LOOOVE lots of hair.
xx Kiss from MN.

Karli January 4, 2012 at 1:32 PM  

Just HAD to look again. Don't get me wrong, I'm so happy for Michael, but this is scary shit.

Classic NYer January 13, 2012 at 5:55 PM  

Haha! Awesome! (yeah, I probably would have shreiked too...)

Unknown August 3, 2015 at 12:43 AM  

Hi, love reading your website! Can I ask you a question through you email me?
Thanks!
David
davidlambert011 gmail.com

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

All Rights Reserved

© 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020



All rights reserved. Content, both written and original photographs, may not be copied or used in any way without consent.















  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP