Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Teri Anderson. Powered by Blogger.

And He's On His Way

Thursday, January 5, 2012

No, that's not his hair. It's his coon-skin cap. Appropriate I think.
I wrote this in 2008 when my son informed me of an adventure he had decided to take. Watching him with his baby now I realize just how far he's come in the last 3 and 1/2 years.




JUNE 2008
My oldest son, Cole, has been out of the house for a few years and is trying to become his own, uh, well ya know, grown up person I guess.
Cole's 6'3”, handsome, charming, has great personality, is so funny and well, he's a 23 year old of the male persuasion. Cole was born an adventurer, an absolute incredible baby and he was so much fun to raise. Fun and exploration were on the top of Cole's list the entire time he was growing up. There are entries and entries that could be written about the experience of raising such a child. Jumping from, and climbing buildings in down town Portland, fires, running away and sleeping under a bridge downtown with 5 friends with only one blanket, as well as being terrorized by “little people,” that’s a story in itself. He is covered with scars from fights or being pushed through windows, and he decided to explore the bomb shelters hidden in the dark maze of the old Clackamas High School. So there's Cole in a few words.
Anyway the child that inherited my sense of adventure was not blessed with common sense, he has my impulsivity. Just one tiny example: when you run away from home and want to go to California, don't hop on an eastbound railroad car, Montana's not far off when you don't know shit about directions!
So Cole came to see me today. He had that "mom I have something that's really gonna freak you out smile.” Now that I think of it, it's a lot like his " I want something" smile. Anyway, here's the plan. He's leaving Wednesday with his friend. They're going to hitchhike to California, part of the way they'll be in a canoe and part on a "homemade Huck Finn" raft. I'm just looked at him, what could I say? He's been talking about this for years. He and his friend are so excited. They're taking a small amount of money, they want to "live off of the land,” I think it’s more that they’re totally broke. I have a feeling by the second day they'll resort to road kill over an open fire for dinner.  They're going to camp along who knows where. The first question I asked was if they'll have a camera. I know them, it will be an adventure, if they don't get killed or accidentally kill each other before they get back. He's 23, I can't stop him and I don't think I want to. He needs to follow his adventurous heart while he's young and can. Oh I'll be freaked out until I hear from him, but I have a feeling they'll come though this just fine. I hope it's more than wishful thinking.


12 comments:

Outcast January 5, 2012 at 4:56 PM  

I love this so much. Your son really is quite something! Hitch hiking to California actually sounds like a lot of fun and I can certainly empathise with his impulsiveness behaviour.

Barfly January 5, 2012 at 5:28 PM  

You sound like a great mom, Diva.
I think you'll like my post today.

My Mercurial Nature January 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM  

Truer words...It's important to take those adventures when you can get them! And look how he's come through!

Karli January 5, 2012 at 6:42 PM  

I'm so proud of my baby brother!

Christy January 5, 2012 at 7:40 PM  

So how did their trip end? Yeah that's me. I have to ask the questions.

The Bipolar Diva January 5, 2012 at 9:50 PM  

Mad Mind, I have two more posts for it. Oh that kid!

Ed & Jeanne January 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM  

I'm surprised there aren't more hitchhikers out there. I mean, who can afford to drive to California with gas prices so high now?

MarkD60 January 6, 2012 at 2:33 AM  

My friends kid rode a bicycle from San Francisco to Washington DC. I'm sure Cole will always be glad he took this trip.

Tami January 6, 2012 at 3:47 AM  

Brave soul. Not just your son, you are too! I'd be freaking out!!!! I wouldn't mind the part about traveling, but without money (and living off the land)… eek! My son is 23 and I can see him doing the same type of adventure. I will NOT be giving him any ideas though. =) Have fun Cole!

Just Two Chicks January 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM  

Oh my goodness, I hope I can one day post the same thing about my daughter!!! She hasn't gotten into any trouble, but she sure is a know it all, when it comes to life... we're going to have to let her learn the hard way, and we've decided if we hear "Well, when I'm 18..." one more time, we are going to take her apartment hunting, job hunting, hand over the car payment, and make her sit down with a calculator in hand, and say go at it, because you'll have about 6 weeks to pull it together and move out Miss 18

myinnerchick.com January 6, 2012 at 4:03 PM  

--My son is about the same age...I seriously think I'd freak out...then I'd say "GO FOR IT!!!"

What a Cutsy Pututsy. :))))

Pat January 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM  

This would have scared the CRAP out of me! How could you NOT worry? But how could you STOP him? Right? Obviously it all turned out okay.:)

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

All Rights Reserved

© 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020



All rights reserved. Content, both written and original photographs, may not be copied or used in any way without consent.















  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP