Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Teri Anderson. Powered by Blogger.

I Should Be Used To It

Sunday, September 11, 2011

It took me by surprise today, after all it's been ten years. I should be used to the reality of the situation of a decade ago. I'm not.

I know much has been written about the horrendous day ten years previous that changed our lives forever. But for some reason I feel the need to write. I told myself I wouldn't put words to screen about the subject that has been brought back into the forefront by so many. But here I am. I'm writing, not for you really, but for me.

For some reason I continue to watch the unending coverage of the anniversary that is marked by so many events today. It's hit me as hard, if not harder than the original attack. After all ten years ago we were all in shock, in disbelief. We watched images that none of us could have ever imagined.

Today it's something that's become part of our culture, our everyday life. The threat, the possibility, the uncertainty is ever present.

I watch on TV as flags are unfurled. I again watch the pictures of  people jumping, falling from the targeted, towering structures, I watch the devastation again. And I cry. It seems as if everything today is magnified for me.

For the last ten years every flag I've seen has taken on a significance that I had never before felt. Oh, I've always been proud of our flag, I've always loved it, I've always respected it. But since September 11, 2001 it's taken on a different meaning for me. It's a symbol of the day we all came together, we put aside our differences and we joined hands. We became one. And I cry.

The national anthem has also become much more meaningful for me. It's no longer a song that was taught to me in fourth grade. It's the story, the reality of the beginning of our beautiful nation. I hear it and damn it if I don't cry as I take in the words and not just sing them. I actually hear them, I picture what Francis Scott Key must have seen, must have felt, the night of September 13, and in the early morning hours of September 14, 1814 during the attack on Fort McHenry. And I cry.

Today I also think of how we've forgotten that togetherness, that will, to fight the enemy together as Americans. Instead we bicker, we separate, we've once again become oil and water refusing to come together for a better America. We identify ourselves as liberals and conservatives and hate one another. And I cry.

Yes I have very staunch political beliefs, I'm sure you have yours and many times they're miles apart. Instead of working together we tear apart and the enemy rejoices. The enemy rejoices as we allow the togetherness we felt during that dreadful time fade away and we've once again focused on ourselves. No one wants to give, no one wants to work together to preserve our way of American life. It's once again a game of us versus them. And I cry.

We're doing the enemy's job ourselves. We're tearing our nation apart from within. We're allowing political warring to separate us as Americans.

I know I've gotten off track. The keys of the computer just seemed to have led me on a different path in this post. We need to work at building up our nation and not let the enemy once again rejoice.


12 comments:

Unknown September 11, 2011 at 1:48 PM  

Hmmm get outta my head its dark and scary in there and I had the electric turned off.. but seriously go read my page.. tell me we are not toooo much in tune

Andrew Hall September 11, 2011 at 2:02 PM  

"I'm writing, not for you really, but for me." - Whatever other writers may say, they are actually writing for themselves.

My Mercurial Nature September 11, 2011 at 2:17 PM  

I'm not so sure it's us vs. them so much as us vs. us...the whole world round. sigh.

Andrea September 11, 2011 at 3:46 PM  

Thank you for sharing. It's so sad, so much, and it's so overwhelming for so many. But sometimes, the need to write is there and whatever we think, wherever our hands go, that's what we need to say.

Carol-Anne September 11, 2011 at 4:11 PM  

I certainly had no intention of posting about today...how could I, a mere Canadian? And yet I had to.

highheeledlife September 11, 2011 at 5:48 PM  

The world as whole is forever changed since that horrible day ... I hope that we can learn and remember not only the lives lost and the families that grief ... but if we can also remember the LIFE is a PRECIOUS GIFT ... perhaps we will let Peace win out and come together as one around the globe. XO HHL

P.S. I agree we write about this for ourselves ... because I think many of us are still trying to understand how this could have happened...xo

Rob-bear September 11, 2011 at 8:33 PM  

Good for you, Diva. Putting our thoughts on screen, and sharing them, sometimes helps us sort ourselves out, too. Not only for Americans, but for us Canadians, too.
Ten years on from the horrific events, we understand much more clearly why things have happened.
But as to understanding those things, and changing our lives? Nothing. Sadly.

Furry Bottoms September 12, 2011 at 8:24 AM  

I know I will never forget this 9/11.

I believe that it HAS changed our lives, every one of us, but... I am not sure if it was changed for the better. Yes we came closer and more together in spirit, but the economic issues that resulted has really torn our country apart.

I am glad you put your words to the screen! :) *HUGS*

Valerie Moore September 12, 2011 at 1:57 PM  

Wonderful Post, Enjoyed reading it!

Liz Mays September 12, 2011 at 2:18 PM  

That's my very problem with politics. It's the foundation of a system to unite us as a country, but it actually divides us and spews hatred.

jen September 12, 2011 at 3:31 PM  

Thanks, ma'am. I avoided posting about it, and now I wish I had. Thanks for voicing for me.

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

All Rights Reserved

© 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020



All rights reserved. Content, both written and original photographs, may not be copied or used in any way without consent.















  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP