Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Teri Anderson. Powered by Blogger.

OCD To The Max

Friday, December 7, 2012

I sat in Starbucks this morning, as I do every morning, sipping a double tall, whole milk, one splenda latte, working a little and watching people. I watch people a lot more than I drink coffee or work. It's been a daily ritual for years.

I think all of the people I know from my little town I've met at Starbucks. I know the Starbucks regulars and their rituals. There is one couple, however, I'm always amazed by. Even though I've watched them for several years, I still can't believe what I hear or see on a daily basis.

They come in every day with their ceramic coffee cups, newspaper and a tote bag of who knows what. They order their coffee and sit at their table by the window and go over the paper. They're probably in their late 60s. The wife is very nice and the husband is polite, but you can tell the bark is just beneath the surface.

She likes to do the word puzzles and he likes to read the articles, complaining out loud on each article he reads. They drink their coffee then go for re-fills.

They usually spend a couple of hours there, I guess which means so I do since I know that little fact, and during their time there the husband straightens every chair when a customer leaves one out of it's proper place. He arranges the bags of coffee in their baskets, he wipes the tables, grumbling all the while.

Usually he doesn't bother me much, I know what he does, but today for some reason I couldn't take it. He was everywhere, moving every table, every chair and cleaning up after everyone in between grumbling about the news of the day.

I looked at his wife in amazement. There's no way I could have been married to him as long as she has been, he would have driven absolutely nuts, kind of like he did today.

Maybe I was just on edge this morning, but I sure was glad when he took their coffee cups, as usual, to the bathroom and cleaned every trace of coffee from them, packed them in the tote alongside the newspaper and rearranged the furniture on their way out of the store.  

And I was so glad he couldn't read my thoughts.

Oh, and there's a blogger I've been reading for a while and I wanted to introduce you to her. She is an amazing writer and I wanted to send you her way. If you like her she has a link to subscribe via email. Go check her out and tell her I sent you. Her name is Lalalady and you can find her blog here. The name of her blog is Ramblings Of An Old Woman. I think you'll like her, she has such a wonderful way with words.



 

7 comments:

Cloudia December 7, 2012 at 10:19 PM  

trying to find a purpose I suppose...


Aloha to YOU from Waikiki
Comfort Spiral

~ > < } } ( ° >

> < 3 3 3 ( ' >

><}}(°> ~

Outcast December 8, 2012 at 9:24 AM  

This is a very interesting couple to me, obviously she loves the man a whole lot to put up with his annoying rituals. He might be a bit of a moan and a general arse but I guess he can't help the OCD side of things although whenever it gets as bad as cleaning up after everybody else then there's something seriously wrong there. I like how you like to watch the world go by, maybe it'll be a good idea in future to not watch this couple though because that man would drive me mad!

MarkD60 December 9, 2012 at 6:20 AM  

I've heard a saying, "If you can spot it, you got it" Not sure what you're spotting or gotting... But at least he keeps the store clean. The employees probably appreciate it!

myinnerchick.com December 9, 2012 at 1:14 PM  

Love your observations, Diva.

Interesting.

I shall check out the blog you suggested.

Xxxx

Unknown December 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM  

I love reading your very descriptive posts. You have a way of putting me right there in your moment. I like that. I sometimes get very edgy and irritated at unexpected moments.

I am usually a kind, friendly, an patient person. Well bipolar disorder altered some of that in me.

For example, In a recent visit to the grocery store, I totally left an isle irritated and without an item I wanted.

After the fact, I feel silly about it now. A person was simply in my way and was seemingly taking forever to make their selection and move on. I became very iritated, mumbled and left the area. lol Boy am I becoming a real mess!

Classic NYer December 13, 2012 at 4:10 PM  

I'm sure that if he could read your thoughts, he'd straighten them out and rearrange them. Come to think of it, that could yield interesting results...

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

All Rights Reserved

© 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020



All rights reserved. Content, both written and original photographs, may not be copied or used in any way without consent.















  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP