Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Teri Anderson. Powered by Blogger.

Taboo

Thursday, January 17, 2013

It's no secret that I have tattoos, especially my 3/4 back piece. I've always chosen places that could be easily covered, you know, being shy like I am. Ok, so maybe I'm not shy, but I do have a little conservatism left in me. If I didn't want people to see the art work I wanted to be able to cover it.

I've coveted a white tattoo for quite some time now. I wanted it on the inside of my forearm. I only wanted it noticed if you really looked for it. When I talked to one of my tattoo guys he informed me that the best a white tattoo will look is the day you get it. Well I certainly didn't want that. After all, what's the point of having a tattoo that you can't see?

A few weeks ago I went in for a consult and gave Joe, an amazing artist, an idea of what I wanted. I wanted something delicate, and since it was going to be on my forearm I didn't want it too prominent. I left him with some pictures, he took a tracing of my arm and went to work designing a piece just for me.

As time passed I decided I wanted it a little more noticeable, but not too much. Finally Tuesday night was appointment time. I arrived early and Joe was just finishing up the design. When he showed me the concept I loved it. It was bigger than I had wanted and was a little more bold than I had originally thought it would be, but I totally loved it, so I said ok and we went for it.

I downed a couple of Vicodin, a Benadryl and some Advil and Joe went to work.I know it must sound strange, but I love the feeling of being tattooed, mostly. I sat well and watched the progress, listened to hilarious stories, laughed and watched Joe's design come to life. About four hours later it was complete.

Now I have my first tattoo that will be seen unless I'm in long sleeves and at first I was a little unsure of the boldness of the design. I know some people will hate it, some people will love it and my daughters will say, "Mom I thought you said you'd NEVER have an arm tattoo!" But bottom line is that I'm 50, I thought it out, it's my arm and it's really no one's business what I have inked on my body.

There's a saying that the difference between people with tattoos and people without tattoos is that people that are tattooed don't care if you're not tattooed. So here I am, continuing the black sheep label in my family and proudly displaying a new arm piece.

Like it or not, it doesn't change who I am, what I believe, my character or anything else. If anything it gives a glimpse of my inner rebel. Attention seeking? No. Self satisfying? Yes.

So like it or not, here it is.

The stencil



A little while into it. 


The finished piece. It's not too noticeable do you think?




 

24 comments:

Cloudia January 17, 2013 at 8:27 PM  

Aloha from you inked Sistah in Honolulu,
Comfort Spiral
~ > < } } ( ° >
> < } } ( ° >
> < 3 3 3 ( ' >

Red Shoes January 17, 2013 at 8:33 PM  

Holy Cow!!

How cool!!!

~shoes~

The Bipolar Diva January 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM  

RCL: haha, that's what I thought ;)

middle child January 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM  

I'm sure your tattoo is lovely. I can hardly see it though.
The day will come when I get the two tattoos I want. Actually 3. My husband is against it even though he has 3 or 4. Yeah. While I do know every inch of his body...they were done in Mexico a million years ago so.....

The Bipolar Diva January 17, 2013 at 9:07 PM  

I should get a better picture of it. I say go for the tattoos!

MarkD60 January 18, 2013 at 5:58 AM  

I don't have any tattoos.

Tracie Nall January 18, 2013 at 7:17 AM  

It is really beautiful. So detailed, and even though it is prominent, it has a feeling of delicacy to it.

One day I want to get a tattoo. But I don't have that perfect spot or design yet, and I don't want to go for it until it is perfect.

Furry Bottoms January 18, 2013 at 8:11 AM  

oh WOW!!! I have been curious about white tattoos. Someone told me they were like glorified scars. You carve the design in with whatever, let it scab and heal over and you'd have a scar of that design. I didn't think that was how it worked though!

Jennifer Kay January 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM  

I like.

So I see the dragon fly and all the artwork around it, what exactly did you tell him you wanted so he could design all that?

The Bipolar Diva January 18, 2013 at 11:23 AM  

Mark, I always thought you would have had one.

The Bipolar Diva January 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM  

Tracie; thank you, and yes, think about it awhile first!

The Bipolar Diva January 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM  

Furry;

They actually do the white tattoos with white ink, jut like any other tattoo. When they heal they do look kind of like scars

The Bipolar Diva January 18, 2013 at 11:26 AM  

Jennifer, I told him a dragon fly and artwork that looked like henna.

Outcast January 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM  

I adore this tattoo Diva. Obviously there can be a taboo about tattoos but it's a silly taboo, some day I'd like one as well, I just need to work out exactly what it is that I'd be comfortable with on my arm for the rest of my life.

The Bipolar Diva January 18, 2013 at 7:50 PM  

Thank you Yeamie! Yes, that's the trick, to design something you'll be comfortable with...because it's not going anywhere after it's on!

Classic NYer January 20, 2013 at 1:55 PM  

Why, Diva, that's barely noticable at all!

Tami January 21, 2013 at 1:49 PM  

I've always wanted to get a tattoo. I think I will start a bit smaller. :-D
Your's is lovely!

Anonymous,  January 28, 2013 at 7:31 PM  

I'm glad for you! I like seeing pics of the hottie in the white shirt jeans behind the tat tho!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

All Rights Reserved

© 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020



All rights reserved. Content, both written and original photographs, may not be copied or used in any way without consent.















  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP