Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Teri Anderson. Powered by Blogger.

Lattes

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I stopped by Starbucks the other day to pick up a latte for me and one for my parents. There were only two cup holders in the POS rent car so I got them a venti to share.

When I got there I began the walk up the drive. Memories came flooding back.

I remembered seeing my Dad crying under the awning where a hearse was parked.

I remembered them putting my mom’s coffin in the hearse and driving to the grave site.

I remembered flashes of people and how beautiful the weather was. 

I remembered Dad and I placed roses on Mom’s coffin before it was lowered into the ground.

I remembered Dad being devastated. I'd never seen my dad cry. I watched him cry enough that day to last for years. 

I remembered being there a year later watching as my brother roared up on my Dad's motorcycle with America's and Texas' flags flying.

I remember my father was taken out of the same hearse and carried to his resting place beside my mother.

I stood there looking at the headstone, tears streaming down my cheeks, while I drank my coffee and talked to them.

Then I poured their latte on the double grave site, cried some more, talked some more and left them once again, alone, together, forever.

18 comments:

Unknown March 1, 2011 at 12:29 PM  

Oh....this made me cry. :(

LilPixi March 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM  

Oh, does my heart hurt right now. For you, anyone who's gone through this loss, for the inevitable we all someday have to go through.
I am sorry about your pain, mama. <3

The Bipolar Diva March 1, 2011 at 2:58 PM  

thanks guys, it makes me cry too. I wish they were still here :(

Ed Wawrzaszek March 1, 2011 at 4:15 PM  

Nothing like sharing a moment with Mom and Dad, regardless of where they may be. Be good to yourself.

Dazee Dreamer March 1, 2011 at 4:33 PM  

I think that is one of the coolest things I've ever read. My parents aren't gone yet, but my hubby's are. I love going to the cemetary and sitting and talking to them. Even tho I've never met them because they were gone way before we got married. thank you for sharing that memory with us.

middle child March 1, 2011 at 7:43 PM  

Last 2 paragraphs,...actually sounded beautiful and healing to me.

Miss Sadie March 1, 2011 at 10:28 PM  

Bear has buried both his parents. Their ashes lie half a continent away. I very much doubt he'll ever get back to them, because his health won't let him travel that far.

He would certainly understand your feelings; "been there, done that, have the scars." Hang in there, Diva! (If Bear were here, he'd give you big Bear hugs.)

e March 2, 2011 at 1:27 AM  

That is beautiful Diva. Great rememberance to your folks. Hugs to ya girl XO

Classic NYer March 2, 2011 at 10:11 AM  

The academic geek in me is fascinated by your modernized starbucks-libation and wants to rush off to find which ancient civilization started that practice.

The not-so-academic-geek in me just wants to hold you until you stop crying. And then for thirty more seconds after that. Make that forty five. Oh, fuck it, you tell me when to let go.

Monkey Man March 2, 2011 at 1:20 PM  

You've really touched me with this.

Christy March 2, 2011 at 2:36 PM  

Sometimes sitting at the grave and talking to the person you miss can give you a boost you aren't aware of.

MarkD60 March 2, 2011 at 2:46 PM  

I wish there was something to say.

The Bipolar Diva March 2, 2011 at 3:05 PM  

awwww, you guys are going to make me cry all over again.. xoxo

Brenda Susan March 2, 2011 at 7:04 PM  

Dang, Woman. Your sweet comforting words to me because I had a disappointing writing day made me cry, then I come here and read about your day! More tears and some deep thankfulness for having 2 living parents.
You are a great woman.

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

All Rights Reserved

© 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020



All rights reserved. Content, both written and original photographs, may not be copied or used in any way without consent.















  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP