Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Teri Anderson. Powered by Blogger.

Surf's Up

Sunday, February 6, 2011

I told you I was going to attempt. I did more than attempt, I DID IT! I surfed!!

I was pretty freaked out at first. I mean, hell I'm 48, what on God's green Earth made me think I could even get up?

I had a great instructor named Lopaka. He was a handsome young man, and just as nice as he could be. He's a native Hawaiian. He's in the Navy as a rescue swimmer. On his off days he teaches surfing to old grandmothers like myself.

After the land instruction it was time for the real thing. We went out to the baby waves first to practice. I made it up on my first wave! Then on the second, third and fourth I bit it bad. I caught a few more and rode them in. Then we went to the larger waves. What? LARGER waves? Ok, we only had time to try to catch a couple and I did!

My arms, shoulders, pecs and triceps are as sore as hell today. I have badly scraped knees and a huge goose egg and a nasty bruise on my forehead from being hit by the surf board one of the times I went down. But I did it, I accomplished it and I conquered my fear. I win!

Angela said now my grand kids have more than a hot blond, tattooed, Harley riding Nana. Nana surfs too! 

Waiting for a wave

Still waiting

Getting up

Here we go

First wave!

Getting ready to bite it

Bit it

What in the hell happened?

Going back out











22 comments:

Dazee Dreamer February 6, 2011 at 6:42 PM  

You are so much braver than I. And what a hot instructor. rawr.

The Bipolar Diva February 6, 2011 at 6:47 PM  

Oh he's hot, so scorchin' hot!

larainydays February 6, 2011 at 7:24 PM  

good for you. I'd rather snorkel.

Sey February 6, 2011 at 7:42 PM  

you're really a certified hot blond, tattooed, Harley riding, surfing Nana. I admire your courage.

Brenda Susan February 6, 2011 at 8:42 PM  

OMG!! You are the bomb! You should be so very proud of yourself! Cross that puppy off your fear list!!

e February 6, 2011 at 9:12 PM  

Good for you, it looks like fun. I would never have guessed you were 48, you are one hot mamma!
~Michelle

Tracie Nall February 6, 2011 at 10:14 PM  

So very awesome that you did that!!

MarkD60 February 7, 2011 at 5:00 AM  

Congratulations! I never surfed the whole time I lived there!
Did you know, that you can go all the way to the top of Diamond Head? It is much higher that it looks!

Unknown February 7, 2011 at 6:34 AM  

That had to be such a rush! :)

Liz Mays February 7, 2011 at 7:41 AM  

You completely rock. I'm so impressed!

Monkey Man February 7, 2011 at 8:02 AM  

Woo whooo!!! Ya got guts. Way to take on that bucket list. That water looks verrry inviting.

8 Ball Brian February 7, 2011 at 11:17 AM  

you know, that pic just before you bit it, would make a wonderful desktop background...riding high on the waves in Hawaii, blue skies, sandy beach, and you looking good...before you bite it. kind of like life itself, don't you think? Have a wonderful vacation Diva...see you out on the road.

redgirl February 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM  

have a girlie drink for me

Miss Sadie February 7, 2011 at 3:54 PM  

You not only did it, you survived to tell the tale!

Well done, Diva.

Raven February 7, 2011 at 6:08 PM  

You are so brave! I'm too afraid of sharks to surf. And did I mention you are awesome?

Pat February 7, 2011 at 8:31 PM  

Congrats! The photos are great! Good for you for conquering your fears!

Laurie Wallin February 7, 2011 at 10:40 PM  

Way to go, girl! I can't believe you're out there in January with no wetsuit either. Way to conquer your fear and do something you've always wanted to do! Makes me want to revisit my own bucket list... :) Have a great week!

Cheeseboy February 8, 2011 at 10:30 AM  

Bitchen'!

I'd love to try surfing someday, but I don't have a board or a teacher.

Kim February 9, 2011 at 8:31 AM  

I did that too, those guys are so awesome (and I was 48 when i did it too!) My poor guy had to tow me all the way back in because I was so worn out.. hope you did all the fun stuff oahu has to offer (hanauma bay, north shore, pearl harbor) it is truly a magical place...

Holly February 11, 2011 at 7:35 AM  

That IS AWESOME!! ;D
Oh yeah... Did I mention GREEN with ENVY??? (Not about the bruising... LOL!) HAWAII! Surfing! Hot Instructor! ;D ((HUGS))

Z February 13, 2011 at 4:06 AM  

I never saw a blog I knew I wanted to follow in a glance..

Until today. Grats on being bipolar and a hot adventure momma. Gives me hope. :)

brandy-son Zen master flash February 15, 2011 at 9:18 PM  

I've always wanted to learn how to surf. Way to go!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

All Rights Reserved

© 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020



All rights reserved. Content, both written and original photographs, may not be copied or used in any way without consent.















  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP