Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Teri Anderson. Powered by Blogger.

Well, I Was A Little Busy

Sunday, December 12, 2010

I know I promised this awesome post for tonight but I've been a little busy. For some reason, known only to starry eyed grandparents, I brought my two four year old grandsons to spend the night with me Friday night.

Josiah is on the left. He's Karli's son. 
Aiden is on the right. He belongs to Michelle.

Look at them sitting there like they're all innocent, sweet, little candy-coated boys. They actually do pretty well together, much better than when they're with their sisters.

Friday night they were totally excited because I left some of the Christmas tree decorations for them to put on the tree.


They giggled and snorted looking at each ornament. They handled each nutcracker, candy cane and colorful ball carefully as they found the perfect spot to hang them. Everything ended up in one 18" area on the tree about 3' up. There's no way I can move any of it. They worked so hard and were so proud of their creation. It's absolutely perfection for a Nana. I smile each time I look at it.

Saturday is where it got tricky. I haven't done a pair of toddlers in 25 years. I found out why yesterday. Two four year olds, two booster seats, Starbucks, Target, the mall, the gun shop and torrents of rain made for an "interesting" day.

The boys were good, but they were boys. That means there was giggling, kicking, squealing and boogers for several hours.

Finally we got to the stop we were all looking forward to: the gun shop.

The boys walked slowly by each glass case memorizing all of the cool guns. They picked out what they wanted when they were "grown up." I grabbed about a dozen boxes of ammo and had the guy show me several pistols.

After the boys had looked in each case they noticed the animals. First was a bear. They wanted to touch it so badly, but they were both a little scared, after all it had TEETH! The boys slowly approached the stuffed bear. Each one tried to get the other one to touch it first. For some reason they fixated on its tongue. Just when Josiah got his nerve up and touched the tongue, the man behind the counter growled. Both boys jumped about three feet straight up and back. The man chuckled, the boys were near tears but were too brave to show it.

Next Josiah spotted the "reindeer." OMG! REINDEER! It's Christmas time and there were reindeer heads, with no bodies, on the walls! What did Santa do? Were the reindeer bad? How was Santa going to fly with only half of his reindeer force?

That's when Josiah decided that Santa didn't go to gun shops because they had no fireplaces, so those couldn't be his reindeer. The boys seemed happy at that explanation, but they kept one eye each on the "reindeer."

We paid for the ammo I'd chosen and petted a buffalo head on the way out. The boys walked a little taller with a little more machismo, after all they had just toured a "real" gun shop and had come face to face with a real bear!

They went home Saturday afternoon and Nana went to bed.

This morning was strangely quiet having the boys gone, a little too quiet. I grabbed up my gun bag, all of the handguns, a crap load of ammo and drove to the gun club. Some day, when they're a little older, I'll have two grandsons at my side.



16 comments:

Rob-bear December 12, 2010 at 8:39 PM  

Two toddlers. Yeah. That's a bit of a challenge. Even doing the Christmas tree. (We helped them do theirs.)

Ours are six and four — maybe a bit large for toddlers. Instead of guns, they play their violins. Whatever.

Is your shooting getting better?

Dazee Dreamer December 12, 2010 at 8:43 PM  

You are a brave, brave nana. And I bet they had the time of their lives.

Christy December 13, 2010 at 4:37 AM  

My 5 yr old grandson can wear me out. But he's hilarious.

Better to teach them the correct way to handle guns early. There are fewer accidents and much less curiosity. That means less chance of accidental shootings.

collettakay December 13, 2010 at 5:29 AM  

Trying to take my 3-year-old grocery shopping with me about does me in.

That is why I usually go on "Grammy/Pappy Day"! Thank God for Grammy/Pappy Day!

larainydays December 13, 2010 at 8:45 AM  

Not every pair of grandsons get to go ammo shopping with their grandma. What lucky boys.

The Bipolar Diva December 13, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

Christy, you're so right. They need exposure at an early age since the entire family shoots. They need the mystery taken away and need to have gun safety drilled in their little heads.

The Bipolar Diva December 13, 2010 at 10:08 AM  

Laraine, it was fun. They couldn't stop talking about it.

The Bipolar Diva December 13, 2010 at 10:10 AM  

Colletakay,

That sounds like a great idea to me. I wish I'd had that option when mine were little!

The Bipolar Diva December 13, 2010 at 10:11 AM  

Dazee,

Brave might not be the word!

The Bipolar Diva December 13, 2010 at 10:13 AM  

Rob,

Remember, this is America. As my brother says "God, gold and guns."

Oh, we have violins too. :)

MarkD60 December 13, 2010 at 12:14 PM  

Do not step over the yellow line.

Liz Mays December 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM  

I know you'll have little shooters by your side one day. It sounds like they were interested already.

I love their reactions to the animals. :)

Donda December 13, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

They look like best buds! Wait til they go to school and tell everyone, "my Grandma took us shooting"!

Monkey Man December 14, 2010 at 1:03 PM  

Great 'day in the life'. I can see your smile through the words.

Brenda Susan December 14, 2010 at 4:34 PM  

Those little guys are so full of trouble it is oozing out their eyes in that pic! Actually, it's not "trouble" it's just boys. That is a great age with boys, I wanted mine to stay there!

Anonymous,  December 19, 2010 at 4:02 PM  

I'm here from Snowbrush and I had to breathe a sigh of relief. You had your two grandsons spend the night, then you loaded up your guns and went target practicing. I have chronic depression and I'd give anything for an upward swing, but it seems depressed people have one thing in common: a love of fire power.

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

All Rights Reserved

© 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020



All rights reserved. Content, both written and original photographs, may not be copied or used in any way without consent.















  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP