Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Teri Anderson. Powered by Blogger.

Just A Word

Saturday, December 4, 2010

I'm going to tell you all a secret here: I really do have bipolar. Scandalous I know. Most of you sort of figured that out by the name of my blog. I just have a few comments to make.

My main reason in writing this blog is not to highlight my disorder. It's to have fun. I don't concentrate on writing about the disorder or my battle with it. I will bring it up when it's affecting my life.

I have many readers that are bipolar and I get tons of emails from those readers thanking me for being honest and transparent about my disorder. That's awesome for me to read. They say that in reading through some of my struggles they feel that they're not alone.

I tell it like it is. If for some reason you don't like a topic that I've written about, just click out. It's ok, come  back when there's another topic. 

Having bipolar means that there are lows, struggles and obstacles to overcome. I've made amazing progress since I was diagnosed.

This blog can be therapeutic for me and eye-opening for others. There's a terrible stigma attached to bipolar and hopefully I can change a little part of it. Usually I do really well. I have the same moods as other people, mine can just be more exaggerated. I'm not psychotic, I'm not delusional and I don't hallucinate. I'm a normal person.

I've always been very open about my life and I don't plan on changing now. It's just who I am.

Right now I'm in a low cycle, I'd change it if I could, but I can't. I have to ride it through.

My last post was about how I was feeling that night and I got a deluge of positive feedback, support, and thanks for posting it.  If you happened to be offended by it, I offer my sincere apologies. Out of all of the messages I got, only one was somewhat negative.

Bipolar isn't a choice, it's genetic. I guess I drew the short straw on that one. It's not going away, the lows won't go away, the highs won't go away, the feelings won't stop and the guilt will remain. If it were a choice, I would have chosen differently.

I'm me guys, you can take me or leave me. But being open is the only way I know how to be. I say things sometimes that others only think. I'm not ashamed of having the disorder and I'm not ashamed of my openess. All of the emails with thanks about my last post only make my resolve stronger to shine a light on what can happen.

That's all I have for now.

Thanks so much for your support.

25 comments:

The Fern Blogs December 4, 2010 at 4:56 PM  

Teri, I love you just the way you are- bipolar or not- you are an incredible lady and glad you are my friend!

Daisygirl December 4, 2010 at 5:00 PM  

ya got only love from me! ♥ya!

Monkey Man December 4, 2010 at 5:00 PM  

You actually received a negative comment? I guess if you have never had exposure to a mental disorder, you may have no compassion for it. Happy Trails.

Christy December 4, 2010 at 5:03 PM  

People are only negative because they don't understand it. They don't know what it is or have never met and known someone with it. It is their problem not yours. I don't think you offended anyone. If they were offended, it is their issue.

Karen Mortensen December 4, 2010 at 5:25 PM  

Good for you. I am not bipolar but I have Fragile X. Sometimes I experience the same feelings and things as you do. It is hard and awful sometimes. I hate that it won't go away and that it is genetic but what can you do expect plow through. You have my support.

The Bipolar Diva December 4, 2010 at 5:58 PM  

Thanks guys, you're gonna make me cry and I can't do that I just put on make-up for the night! ♥ to you all.

Unknown December 4, 2010 at 6:14 PM  

I love you BECAUSE you are honest and transparent. Nobody wants to read about someone's bullshit, perfect, airbrushed life. It's our struggles that make us who we are.

Keep writing, girl - we'll keep reading!

Claudya Martinez December 4, 2010 at 7:16 PM  

I will take you as you are and I respect you for unashamedly sharing your truth. This is your journey.

Rob-bear December 4, 2010 at 8:32 PM  

Tricia's right. We love you 'cause you're one gutsy mama, and a Diva to boot! And because we know craziness is linked to brilliance. Think Van Gogh (and others). You get the picture.

Be who you are and have fun on the "ride."

(Bears know about these things.)

Unknown December 5, 2010 at 12:07 AM  

There is nothing like living on a roller coaster ride. People who do not suffer from the disease have no clue what it can do. I completely understand and really do get some satisfaction out of your blogs. Makes me feel less alone in this big old world. Your Friend- Angie

Becky December 5, 2010 at 5:07 AM  

You should *never* apologize because someone was offended by what you wrote on your blog. It's your place, to write what you want. I love that you are so open and honest about the BPD. It's not an easy or pretty disease. Sure the mania can be loads of fun, but the depression? Dark and ugly. You are opening eyes and hearts and minds of those who don't live with the disease. Don't ever apologize because someone got offended by you just being you. That's all on them.

Debbie December 5, 2010 at 6:04 AM  

your honesty is inspiring! Each of us has a cross to bear! So many of us hide behind a smile and mask!! I respect real! And you , my friend, are real!

The Bipolar Diva December 5, 2010 at 10:28 AM  

Thank you, every lat one of you has made my day. I love you all.

Skepticat December 5, 2010 at 12:11 PM  

Ultimately, the blogs must serve us and not the other way around. How you use your blog is up to you and I think we can all learn a great deal from what you choose to share.

I use my blog mainly as an outlet for my anger, frustration, and fear. But I also want people to see that I'm a human being too with the same basic hopes and fears as everyone else. Whatever I choose to write serves me but I also hope others can benefit from it too.

The most important thing, I think, is that we keep sharing.

Brenda Susan December 5, 2010 at 3:41 PM  

Sending blessings your way and hope this cycle is a short one.

Furry Bottoms December 5, 2010 at 7:54 PM  

Oh gosh, Diva, I wouldn't want you to be any other way but who you are!

I don't like it when people think you can "help" it if you only "tried" Those people just don't ever have the experience of the disorder itself, so there is no way they can understand and they should step off. STEP off, I say! This Bipolar Diva is perfect as she is!

Holly December 6, 2010 at 12:50 AM  

You are GREAT and we LOVE that you help spread AWARENESS about bipolar!

Personally, I never say things so eloquently!! Here, you say it perfectly the WAY IT IS!! Take it or leave it... I now have THIS post permanently linked on my sidebar.

THANK YOU!!

(((HUGS)))

Andrew Hall December 6, 2010 at 6:11 AM  

Just found your blog and have read through a few posts. I'm looking forward to reading more in the future.

Michelle Pixie December 6, 2010 at 5:53 PM  

I love you just the way you are and I love your honesty. XXOO

Cheeseboy December 6, 2010 at 9:15 PM  

I don't get why this topic would make someone uncomfortable. I guess maybe the ebb and flow of the posts? I think this is who you are and your writing is twice as interesting because of it.

Sara @ Domestically Challenged December 7, 2010 at 8:00 PM  

I just stopped by and am glad I did. I can relate, as i have an ED and ADHD. Yep, there are times it is not good. We cannot stop our lives, our blogging, our reflections during that time. I think it is cathartic to blog and get the word out there at these times. Go you!

Gypsea Nurse December 7, 2010 at 9:27 PM  

YOU ROCK! Listen.. you must kinda be like me..maybe we are soul sisters.. you where your heart on your sleeve.. you tell it like it is...sometimes not meaning too..(but that depends on the wave of the cycle!) You'e funny as shit.. have a huge heart...that people probably have stomped on quite a few times..and yet..somewhere you may have let a few back in.... but once the light switched is clicked OFF. Peace Out. I think you know my background workwise... but you know what they say.. the best therapists are ones who walked the walk..
Keep it up girl... it's a positive way to work through the real lows... or when on your God Pedastel, let us all know it!
I swear we are twins.. when I read your writing...
Manic is a blast.. Darkness can eat you alive... Unfortunately..some of my darkness has transpired onto one I live with... who does nothing but make snide inappropriate and hurtful remarks.. and ya know.. I just really can't shake 'em!
You ever need ANYTHING... I am an email away.. and if on a good high.. a plane ride away! Lol!!
Smiles~
Cat

Christina December 8, 2010 at 11:04 PM  

http://curious97s.blogspot.com/ - check out my blog anytime...im also bipolar as well as having borderline personality disorder.i LOVE your blog, and i wanted to tell you that other bipolar people love you blog too!!!

The Reckmonster December 9, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

Dear Diva, I am an avid reader of your blog and love, love, love it! I'm sure that you get all kinds of awards, but I wanted to give you this one to let you know I think your blog rocks harder than Twisted Sister in 1984!! Here's your award: http://michellelcsw.blogspot.com/2010/12/honestlyme.html

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

All Rights Reserved

© 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020



All rights reserved. Content, both written and original photographs, may not be copied or used in any way without consent.















  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP