Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Teri Anderson. Powered by Blogger.

Things I Wasn't Told

Monday, October 17, 2016

I saw the pictures. Cute pictures, many pictures, of adorable black and tan balls of fluff posted all over Facebook by one of my friends. Well my Yorkie is a blue and tan 4 lb, 6 year old, ball of fluff. Easy enough I thought.

Ha! It was a trap! All of that cuteness, along with my need for protection, got the best of me and I became the proud, but so very naive mommy of a beautiful 8 week old German Shepherd. I've had big dogs all of my life, not a problem, I've got this. Labs, I had Labs, huge difference I found out.

Even at 8 weeks old the turbulent tornado that I fell in love with was much more strong, willful, and curious, than any animal I've ever owned. I had no idea how smart these wonderful dogs are, I had not idea how challenging they are, I had no idea I would not be raising a "puppy," but rather an entire herd all bound into one sweet faced baby. Here are a few of the surprises.

She's about 4.5 months old and weighs around 50 pounds. She has not one malicious, mean, vicious, bone in her entire Clydesdale sized body.

Here are a few ways my life has changed:

  • I will never again be able to go to the bathroom, or shower, alone. 
  • Every dish is licked clean after I put it in the dishwasher as I ready the next. 
  • I have one sock left of every pair I own. 
  • I have to use a very complicated strategy when I open the refrigerator.
  • When I open the dryer I just have to get used to the fact there will be a huge, black, curious, head shoved all the way in attempting to find a wash cloth, sock, or dryer sheet. 
  • Digging. I have holes in my yard that were dug in mere seconds that could hold an entire sumo wrestling team.
  • I'm thankful I have Saltillo tile floors that muddy, wet, paw prints can easily be removed from. 
  • My couch seems to be a mere vaporous entity. She appears to just walk over it, no jumping, no hopping, just stepping. 
  • I now know why so many German Shepherds are named "Shadow."
  • The UPS man looks at her and runs the other way, she looks at the chickens behind the yard and runs the other way. 
  • Her paws are large enough to be mistaken for bear claws at a bakery.
  • Five foot tree limbs are only play toys. 
  • I don't think that with all of my kids and grandchildren I ever had as many toys in my floor as I now do. 
  • Anything on the counters is fair game. 
  • It's kinda freaky to have my entire face licked in one swoop of a tongue while I sleep.
  • I've never had a dog that's ever been so happy to see me. I'm her person and she's my baby. 
  • I've never seen such loyalty in a furry friend. 
  • Her eyes can melt the hardest of hearts. 
  • I love her, she loves me, we're a team. 
  • She's Karma, the charismatic, canine!


























4 comments:

middlechild October 18, 2016 at 7:37 AM  

that is one beautiful dog. i have a black lab so ......i hear ya!







..

The Bipolar Diva October 18, 2016 at 9:55 AM  

thank you! Yes, I had not idea how different she would be! WOW!! lol

April October 18, 2016 at 10:10 AM  

I have a black lab also - he just turned one! Completely understand - the one thing Notch does that drives me crazy is standing with his head between me and a cabinet or anything that is a hard surface. Crazy he will just stand there until I move. Also follows me around every where - bathroom big time. Just wish I could get him to quit jumping up on me!

The Bipolar Diva October 18, 2016 at 10:12 AM  

Karma is getting the clue not to jump on me. At least now she's letting me brace myself! lol. Thank you for stopping by April!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

All Rights Reserved

© 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020



All rights reserved. Content, both written and original photographs, may not be copied or used in any way without consent.















  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP