Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Teri Anderson. Powered by Blogger.

Overtaken

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

It was late when I closed the laptop and all light vanished from the room leaving nothing, but the neon green numbers on the clock, that could be seen.

My eyes were heavy, and my bones weary, as I pulled the blankets up around my body, leaving nothing but the top of my shoulder exposed to the breeze of the overhead fan. I hoped sleep would soon overtake me, and I would be transported into a calm world, void of the constant movement and memories of the weekend. I closed my eyes, and settled in, with my left hand tucked under my chin, and my right arm resting beside my pillow.

The dancing thoughts in my mind were undaunted as I lay re-living conversations and activities of the previous days. I had a back up, as I always do when sleep evades me, but was hesitant to give into it's control over my spirit.

I opened my eyes, time after time, only to see the neon green numbers scream out to me how long I had been attempting to contain the thoughts, and allow slumber to take over my mind and soul.

The only movement I could feel was the in and out motion of my chest as I breathed deeply, in the hopes of banishing the clutter in my head.

Thoughts of my back up plan were haunting me, and I came close to reaching for the bottle, removing it's cap, and allowing several of the magical tablets it contained to slip into my hand.

It was then I felt movement next to me. It's presence startled me. It pushed thoughts of the white, oval,  pills from my mind as I concentrated on its motion.

Slowly I could feel something snaking over my bare skin, first touching my back, then gently sliding up to the crook of my hip and onto my stomach, where it stopped and rested, as if it had never left.

It was something not felt since the early months of the year. It was the warmth of human skin, the light, but comforting touch, of a hand that was reaching out in search of my presence, bringing with it the transference of peace and belonging.

Instantly my thoughts were quelled, and my spirit calmed. It was then I was able to forget the additional medication, and peacefully fall into a world of repose I so desperately needed.




 

9 comments:

Rob-bear August 13, 2013 at 5:55 PM  

That's beautiful. As it should be!

Blessings and Bear hugs!
desert.epiphanies@sasktel.net
Bears Noting
Life in the Urban Forest (poetry)

Carrie August 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM  

Oh my gosh...this makes me happy <3

Outcast August 14, 2013 at 2:41 AM  

I'm listening to a really mellow and relaxed song right now and it just worked perfectly with this post, beautifully written, I love how it instantly pushed you into sleep, you must have missed it a lot.

Angelwithatwist August 14, 2013 at 5:56 AM  

YAY!! Isn't it odd how something so simple becomes so important in our lives, especially when we have missed it. I am glad he was your storm calmer, as it should be.

Anonymous,  August 14, 2013 at 3:38 PM  

Beautifully written. Perfectly conveyed. I wonder how many people can relate to this feeling.

Seraffyn August 15, 2013 at 12:06 AM  

Beautifully said. Makes me happy and reminds me of how I miss that feeling.

Seraffyn August 15, 2013 at 12:06 AM  

That's beautifully said, and reminds me of how deeply I miss that feeling.

Susie - Walking Butterfly August 15, 2013 at 6:27 PM  

Simply beautiful! Seems to be the word of the day!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

All Rights Reserved

© 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020



All rights reserved. Content, both written and original photographs, may not be copied or used in any way without consent.















  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP