Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Teri Anderson. Powered by Blogger.

Confessions, Realizations, and Intentional Blindness

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

This is a day, or time perhaps, I never thought would come. Until recently I didn't think it was something that had to be done, after all I am the therapy queen, or so I thought. I was great at analyzing others, but deeply afraid of analyzing myself. If I did that it meant that I had to open old wounds, admit my weaknesses and flaws, and look my failures square in the eye, say "I was wrong," and open the boxes I had filled with my imperfections and bad choices that I was afraid of admitting to myself. 

Here I sit one year post the official termination of a marriage that spanned nearly three decades, several years post separation, nearly a decade post a major downturn in my life that greatly affected my behavior, the behavior of others once close, my present, my future, and the lives of people I deeply love.

For those of you that have followed my writings through the tumultuous times of the last ten years or so you've seen my desperation, my attempts to breathe, my attempts to laugh off serious issues, and my running from demons clawing at my soul. Many of you saw what I couldn't, or wouldn't, see.

At the time I had no valid reasons to explain why I was running except that I felt as if I was trying to escape something deep within my being that was constantly tormenting me. I could never exactly pinpoint where those feelings came from. I only knew that they were there, they were real, and they were killing me physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Ashamedly I must admit I never saw how my downfall pulled others into blackness as well.

I had many theories, some valid and some I now feel were me grasping for straws to explain what was happening and were so very wrong. We all have different perceptions of what we go through, some true, some partially true, and some totally wrong. Choices I've made, as we all have, fit squarely into all of those categories. I only want to, need to, focus on mine. I was unable, at the time, to see how in trying to control my out of control mind I ended up, unintentionally, controlling what I thought I could, and in doing so left a wake of damage.

In the midst of it all I lost track of my true self, I made terrible (although unknown at the time) mistakes, or as someone I dearly love pointed out "choices." I realize I wrote a while back that I would tell the story in detail in the hopes of helping others. What I've come to realize on this bumpy journey is that the only details I need to focus on are the ones that caused my personal downfall, the ones I brought on myself, and not to look to the actions, real or perceived, of others. I can explore those in privacy, with my therapist, and not cast blame on someone when I really need to be searching for the reasons behind my own failures and bad choices, and not tarnish the reputations of others in the process.

Four people close to me shook me, some gently and some harshly, into the realization that in doing so I was avoiding looking at the damage I caused, taking ownership for it, and because of that I was avoiding real issues with me that I was before afraid to admit and therefore unable to work on.

I want no further finger pointing, blaming, harsh words or vague insinuations. I want to focus on myself, my healing, my wrong actions, and becoming a better person. What's past is past, although it continues to haunt me, and I think enough time has past that, with the help of those that know me best, I can look back and identify my failings. I don't want to speak of my opinions regarding what I perceived of the failings of others. That won't help me heal, it will not allow me to focus on what I need to repair myself and the damage I caused, it would only divert me from what I need to change in myself and hurt my loved ones more, and I don't want that to happen. I hope that makes sense, you have to remember I'm 53, blonde, and my thoughts are scattered much of the time.

I'm a writer. I write for many reasons. One is to better understand myself, one is for my own therapy, one is to make people chuckle, and one is to encourage those in similar situations. I started this particular blog when I was wrongly diagnosed with bipolar disorder 2. My intentions were multi-pronged in that I wanted healing, self awareness, and I had read so many blog posts of others continually whining about bipolar that I wanted to show people they could take charge of what they were dealing with and not allow their diagnosis control them. I had good intentions with what I thought I knew at the time, but in doing so I miserably failed my loved ones, and most importantly myself.

I've avoided writing during these past few years for a several reasons. One was that the confusion that filled my brain wouldn't allow me to focus. Another is that, even though I didn't do a good job at it,  I thought I was  avoiding "vengeance." I didn't do a great job at that. I'm impulsive and at times I have written about my feelings, and personal situation, in a way that hurt others perhaps in order to do just that veiled as an attempt to help myself, perhaps for therapy, perhaps, perhaps, perhaps....

In doing so I hurt those I should have protected. You would think that with as much therapy as I've had I would have realized many things, and I failed in spectacular ways, in so many areas. I have forgiven everyone I perceived that had hurt me, and I have asked forgiveness of those that I know I have hurt.

I'm emerging from the darkness that had enveloped me with the help of those that witnessed my demise, my changing personality, my fleeing my own demons. I've never pretended to be perfect, but I did attempt to appear more pulled together than I was. I was attempting to control my out of control life. In saying that I am not blaming anyone, I am simply saying my life was out of control and on a downward spiral.

Was I the only one in the wrong? No I wasn't. Everyone involved made mistakes, choices, mainly unintentional, but I don't want to spotlight those, I only want to work on myself so I can be what my Creator intended for me, and to do my best to bring glory to Him. I realize some of you have different spiritual beliefs, and I respect them, I'm not preaching to anyone, I'm only trying to get back on track for myself and for those I love.

To the people that have helped me this past week or so, you know who you are, I have to thank you for everything you all have done to allow me, or force me, to take a deeper look at myself. You have made me see were I was blind, or unwilling to see the actions of mine that contributed to this perfect storm. I hold nothing against you, I can only thank you for stances you took, reaching out when you did, and loving me in spite of my craziness. Those actions you took have helped me emerge from the darkness I had surrounded myself with in the attempt to control my very out of control world.

After a very long conversation a couple of days ago I realized how deeply I affected a person I had tried to protect my entire life. I was in mama bear mode and didn't see, until just recently, I should have known when the time was right to step away from mama bear mode and allow my child the ability to breathe, learn, make mistakes, grow, think, fight, on her own. In fighting to protect her I didn't see I was slowly killing her. I'm not sure if it's normal not to know where the boundaries are with an adult child, or if we all have to learn by trial and error. One thing I can honestly say is that I was blind and needed emotional slapping to be able to realize my failures and address them.

I have a lot of work to do on myself. I've always known that but it hurt too much to get to the root of what I need to in order to be the best I can be for not only myself but for those I love, those I encounter, and those I influence in ways I don't know I do.

I value your insight, I ask for your help, and I cannot begin to express in words how much your support has meant to me through the years.

I do have one thing to ask of a few of you that are stalking me for no reason other than to gossip, burn up phone lines, or talk smack. I know who you are, you know who you are. If you have no interest in me other than to talk smack, stop stalking me from Massachusetts and Texas.

A Work In Progress,


8 comments:

middlechild March 9, 2016 at 3:15 PM  

Always wishing you God's blessings and knowledge of his will.

The Bipolar Diva March 9, 2016 at 3:33 PM  

Thank you MC. You've been such a source of support to my family. <3

Unknown March 9, 2016 at 9:07 PM  

The mythical phoenix is a wonderful, mystical Arabian Bird. Its story and many variations have been around for centuries. The phoenix is a beautiful bird with brilliant scarlet and gold plumage. The myth of the phoenix is engaging and symbolic. This beautiful bird is said to live 500 years, and then, at the time of its death it creates a nest and while still in it, sets it on fire. Out of the fiery hot ashes of its own demise springs a new phoenix. Its life cycle never ends. The story is adapted to fit many cultures and religions. Its mythical nature and its name have come to represent everlasting life, rebirth, resurrection and immortality along with such qualities as vision, great beauty, undying inspiration, awareness and more.

Our lives will represent the rising of the phoenix if we allow it. Out of the fire and ashes of our crash and burn lives, we are offered a new beginning. And this Grace is offered over and over again. This mythical bird never comes out of its ashes despondent and dejected; it arises with great power and beauty, undamaged and strengthened by the flames of its self-created fire.

We don’t need to gaze upon the ashes of our burnt out dreams with a heavy heart. We are encouraged by the power of this timeless myth to rise up—to be re-birthed— into a new beginning, a new opportunity and sometimes, a whole new life.

If we can stay focused on the Good, we will find It. It is right here with us all the time. It has never left us.

A phoenix experience is the ulitmate change–a “dying” of the old, so the new can be born in and through you

The Bipolar Diva March 9, 2016 at 10:34 PM  

Wow, just wow. I don't know how to respond other than thank you. I have no words. Yes i do, that helped me change my outlook.

shadowfire March 10, 2016 at 10:49 AM  

Hi There... I found you through a friends page, and at first thought Bi Polar Diva was a cool name... Then I read this entry and found much depth in your words.

It is always hardest to admit our own flaws and mistakes. The longer we house them, the more a part of us they become.

There is a saying I heard a few years back and has stuck with me: "All we are ever dealing with is a thought, and a thought can be changed"...
It may sound a bit simple at first, but there is substance it in.

Nice to meet you. Look forward to reading your writings.

~ shadowfire ~

The Bipolar Diva March 10, 2016 at 10:56 AM  

thank you, I very much appreciate your kind words. Welcome!

Kristy March 10, 2016 at 2:03 PM  

You are growing and healing. What a big leap for putting the past behind you and dealing with life. Be gentle with yourself and allow yourself some mercy. We all make mistakes and at least you own them. No one is blameless in any situtuation and your grown up enough to move on.

The Bipolar Diva March 10, 2016 at 3:11 PM  

Kristy, thank you. I'm so thankful you've been in my life as long as you have.

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

All Rights Reserved

© 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020



All rights reserved. Content, both written and original photographs, may not be copied or used in any way without consent.















  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP